Home Forums Pianobook Wishlist for the new pianobook site/food for thought

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wordsSHIFTminds
    Participant

In the hope that one or more of the volunteers involved in the development of the new pianobook website WIP reads this, here are a couple of what I hope are constructive requests for future additions to its feature-set:

1. The ability to edit and delete reviews and forum posts. If the plan is still for the forum to be incorporated into the Spitfire Audio forum, I imagine the latter of these items will already be taken care of. I believe there may even be privacy or data retention problems with not allowing posts to be removed. In any case, it ought to be possible for reviews to be treated the same way You Tube comments are, making the author able to go back and make corrections and/or amendments and also, eventually, should this be required, to delete a review (or a post) entirely.

2. A while ago I mentioned the following to Christian and would still find it immensely valuable if an embedded video link to the relevant pianodrop appeared underneath the ‘Latest’ instruments on the site, so that downloaders can at least hear that instrument briefly until such time as a demo is added. It often takes a couple of weeks before the first demo appears and it’s unnecessarily time-consuming having to go to You Tube to track down the relevant video.

That’s all, folks! Thanks to everyone involved with pianobook in any way: samplists, demoists, reviewers, volunteers, composers and musician everywhere. Even if all you do is download the instruments and use them in your projects, you’re still helping to make pianobook an incredible resource.

Christian must be immensely proud of what he’s achieved and so should everyone who uses this site.

Chris
    (wordsSHIFTminds)

S Fyffe
    Keymaster

Thanks for your ideas, Chris. I’ll pass them on to the team.

Regarding your second point: the individual sections of each Pianodrop video are embedded on the instrument pages. You may need to scroll down a bit if the ‘Story’ is a long one but, they’re all there.

wordsSHIFTminds
    Participant

My apologies, Simon. I should have added the Henson Proviso to my post; namely: “Bearing in mind I haven’t got a fucking clue what I’m talking about….”, which applies far more to me than it does to Christian. What makes this worse is that I’ve looked for the pianobook video on new instruments several times and even with scrolling have failed to find it. Perhaps I’ve been looking too soon, before you’ve had time to post it?

Just the one thing on my shrinking wishlist, then – well, two if you count ‘delete’ as well as ‘edit’.

I should probably add – following a forum conversation with Marcus ‘Da Fingaz’ Manderson about the new demo guidelines – that, as a 60-year-old with a fair amount of time on my hands each week I’d be willing to volunteer (assuming the site users find my demos useful) to be allocated at least one demo a week to record if this helps to populate the site with demos for recently added instruments. Ideally this would be a Kontakt instrument as I already have the full version and am probably about as competent at using it as I ever will be.

Again, just food for thought.

Thanks again,
    Chris

Marcus Manderson
    Participant

Great ideas, Chris! The YouTube links in the posts seem like a fairly new addition, but I’m glad they are there.

Not sure if all of the past libraries will get the YouTube treatment. Glad the new ones will have some type of reference though.

What I would suggest to you is to do what I started out doing:

When I started doing the demos, I focused mainly on the hundreds of libraries that didn’t have any demos at all.

Since you now only have the option to submit 1 a week, maybe find one of the recent releases without a SoundCloud demo and work on something with that sound to be featured?

Hope that sparks an idea or 2.

Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.