Who here is taking a go at Spitfire’s Westworld competition?

Home Forums Pianobook Who here is taking a go at Spitfire’s Westworld competition?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ooft, going through all the other socials and some people really are NOT happy about this.

Is it completely mental? – yes

Does it look dodgy that the guy that won has imdb credits on major films (including JJ Abrams’ Mi:3)? – a bit… but he was an assistant ADR editor.

I’ll be honest it took me a while to get my head around it, to me it really didn’t fit the scene at first listen. But the idea has grown on me even if, to me, the execution still lacks a bit of impact.

Fair play to him, he took a massive chance and it paid off.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by AvatarThe Ansion.
    GigabangGigabang
    Participant

11,000+ submissions!

Didn’t stand a chance in that oceanic volume of compositions but I do have to admit, like a lot of people I’m feeling a little despondent after all that. A whimsical entry from a guy who works in Hollywood does leave me feeling a little hoodwinked.

Participant

I think after 11000k submissions, I think it’s like college entrance essays. The judges are more likely to choose something different rather than traditional. I also have not watched the third season of Westworld yet, but after seeing the first 2, I wouldn’t be surprised if that entire scene was indeed part of a video game. Correct me if you’ve seen it (without spoilers please).

Participant

I would be very interested to hear if A) the judges actually listened to all the submissions and B) why and how they came to their conclusion.

Richard FerrandoRichard Ferrando
    Participant

I really don’t understand the vitriol this is getting. It was a fun, different take on the material. So many people are saying it’s not appropriate for the scene. But comedy is a valid choice. My entry was comedic as well. I mean, the show used “Ride of the Valkyries” to underscore this scene when it aired, the missile HUD display turns into a smiley face right before the truck explosion, and it features a slow-speed chase with robots shooting a bazooka from a driverless Smart Car limousine. That smells like comedy to me.

And the fact that he’s done work in Hollywood is a red herring. Paul said on Twitter that all the entries were anonymized ( https://twitter.com/MrPaulThomson/status/1276968157245132801 ), so there’s no way the judges would know whose work is whose. Plus, he was an assistant sound editor. He probably was never in the same building as JJ, let alone the same room. People tend to forget that in LA, everyone and their brother works in entertainment. It’s the dominant industry, like working for Amazon in Seattle or a car company in Detroit. I worked for Warner Bros. for five years, it doesn’t mean I’m close personal friends with Bugs Bunny.

GigabangGigabang
    Participant

I spent far too much of my time last night awake trying to quantify my feelings on this.
    At first I was frustrated, like the majority, but the more I considered it all I realised my frustrations were really facing inward, with myself.
    As I completed this I thought I’d crafted something unique, that was well produced, responded to the brief whilst carrying itself as a legitimate piece of work. I thought this would be the catalyst for personal progress but really I’ve come to realise I am just a grain of sand on the outer realm of a gigantic desert in a saharan storm.
    It’s a wildly interesting learning process, back to the drawing board.

Keith TheodosiouKeith Theodosiou
    Participant

We all had a go, we all interpreted the scene in our own way. The judges decided the winning piece was what they liked the most. That’s a contest in a nutshell.

Now, we wait for the next contest and try again.

That’s how it is and always will be. Just be proud of what you created πŸ™‚

markusmarkus
    Participant

Keith: That’s it. Exactly.

The guy started with a radical idea and brought it straight to the finish line. So what?
    Congrats to winner.

And note to myself: Not being afraid of outsider concepts.

synthesizerwritersynthesizerwriter
    Participant

@dore_m: The scene was not part of a video game… Unless you count a specific instance of reality as portrayed in a TV programme as being a video game…

synthesizerwritersynthesizerwriter
    Participant

What was really scary was the YouTube chat during the countdown before the video where the winner was announced. Over a thousand people were in the chat an hour before the video was shown, and they worked themselves up into a total frenzy…

Participant

HI just wanted to highlight a couple of things…

1st,
    so few people observed the “genre switch” I think it’s notable that he didn’t either really. i.e. it clearly says “FILM” genre, not MEDIA type (the drug has a very specific name for a reason I would guess). The episode is called GENRE ffs! I can’t believe anybody tried to score this without any narrative context but obviously 1,000’s did. That said why choose an entry that chose to “break” the brief completely? Bending it is what we do to make things interesting but this is just WRONG imho! Ironically I chose the closest thing I could think of to “computer game” music (it reminded me of 80’s-90’s sci-fi) and went with 90’s anime roughly πŸ˜‰ … At least it’s a damn film genre.

2nd,
    I love chip tune and would have loved to see it done well here but for me it was far too “jolly” in tone and the drums were beyond awful. The same thing could have been amazing imho if given a much darker more “castlevania” feel rather than that of everyones favourite plumber. Which by the way is probably STILL the best game score in history by MILES! 4 interchangeable channels of pure magic that to this day are iconic! This was, in my opinion, irreverent to the “genre” of game music generally! Koji Kondo we’re so sorry!!! (DEEP BOW).

Participant

I agree with Keith and Markus. Everything is up to artistic interpretation, and artistic interpretation is all subjective. We were asked to score the scene, not the show. The context doesn’t matter. Whether it’s something HBO would actually use doesn’t matter. It’s 100% our interpretation of the materials we were provided.

Those of us who interpreted the scene comedically are just as right as those who interpreted it dramatically. There is no wrong answer here. Only choices.

I think part of the anger might stem from people putting artificial constraints on what they thought was expected. The only requirements were to enhance the viewing experience, be creatively inventive, and progress the story being told. Anything within that framework is acceptable.

Participant

lol you can’t tell a story without context tho πŸ˜‰

Participant

The scene makes LITERALLY no sense without the context that the dialogue provides .. “what genre” … And that is established earlier in the episode . Just my 2 cents , but not sure how context isn’t EVERYTHING in scoring lmao! but horses for courses as you say mate…. ps not my intention to offend , I’m just saying ..

Participant

No offense taken, sir! It’s just a friendly discussion! 😁

Personally I just scored according to the story in the scene itself, which is “Guys with guns want dude with iPad, heroes need to protect him.” That story is a complete narrative with a beginning, middle, and end. The “why” of the whole thing I didn’t think mattered.

If we were asked to score the scene within the context of the episode, then sure, context would matter. But we weren’t asked to do that. They just gave us a scene in isolation and said “do whatever you want.”

Furthermore, if they had asked for contextual scoring, how unfair would that make the competition for people who have no access to watch the episode? Not everyone can afford HBO, and in some places, HBO isn’t even available (and there’s no way Spitfire would expect people to pirate it to observe the context.) Remember, this contest was open to everyone, regardless of experience, regardless of access. We weren’t competing for a job, it was literally nothing more than “Here’s a thing. What does it mean to you?” And there’s no wrong answer to that question.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook