Home Forums Pianobook Sustain pedal BOOOM!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Conner
    Participant

Hi all, could anyone help and tell me why, when I press the sustain pedal on some instruments, there’s an almighty crash/boom that seems to play all the notes!? It does sound amazing but not always appropriate. Just found it again after loading the wonderful Gimp (or is it just the Gimp trying to get out??)

Jake Hendriksen
    Participant

That almost sounds like something strange (a short?) in the physical connection between your pedal and keyboard, or just within the pedal itself. Would you be able to test with a different pedal and/or triggering sustain virtually (such as inside a DAW)?

Peter Conner
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try that, although I’m wondering if it’s deliberate, just another sound?

Jake Hendriksen
    Participant

I confess I don’t usually use a sustain pedal when I’m trying out new sample packs, but I don’t imagine that it is intentional – and particularly if you are finding that it happens on multiple instruments. It’s a very unusual behavior for a virtual instrument to have, and I can’t imagine more than one sample pack creator intentionally setting up their instrument to behave that way.

rweeks
    Participant

Ah-I think this may be an intentional pedal sound.. in the kontakt version, there is a pedal knob, which turning down helps a bit.

Personally I think the pedal sound does contain quite a bit of low end in general.. (especially when I tune the gaffer down, which I like to do), so I often eq out the bottom end in addition to turning the pedal knob down so I can get a crispier sort of pedal sound.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.