Home Forums Pianobook Struggling to get started making my first sample

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Phil Hanson
    Participant

Hi All – I have what I suspect is the most basic of “sampling 101” questions, for which I apologise in advance!! I want to get started sampling and uploading to Pianobook (I’ve been dying to turn my trumpet into a virtual instrument for a while), but I can’t get past the basics. I have a wav file with a single note, what do I do next? I downloaded Decent Sampler, but the wav file won’t drag over to it. I am using Ableton, so I tried simpler and instrument rack, I can drag the wav file into both but can’t get the note to map to the whole keyboard and can’t convert my wav file to an adg file or anything close to making it into a VST. I have the free (not paid) version of kontact and I tried to do what Christian suggested in his sampling intro video , but the mapping doesn’t work. If there is an idiots guide to what I am supposed to do, I would really appreciate it. Also, I see some people making their own GUI, is this mandatory also, or is that something to progress onto into time and given sufficient dev skills?

Thanks for any and all info. Love the site and hopefully will see you with my own instrument soon! 🙂

Regards

Foggy / Phil Hanson

mindsketch
    Participant

Hi Phil,

First, no need to apologize. I’ll admit that I won’t be the best advisor on here, but I can, point you to a couple of resources that are helpful for me as I go through the learning curve.

Have you read through the How to Sample Guide a couple of times yet? You’ll find it in the ‘Resources’ menu. For me, it sinks in better on each read-through. It focuses on piano, but don’t let that throw you. It also walks you through a more involved sampling exercise than necessary, suggesting more samples than one and at varying velocities. You don’t have to get this detailed to begin. You may decide to at least run through sampling one ‘cycle of 5ths’ to improve your results across multiple octaves. There is also a good guide on how to prepare and package your samples for sharing on the site. No need for GUI development and such.

If you find the piano references distracting, I’ve also found David Hilowitz’ video guides to be helpful. Search for ‘David Hilowitz Music’

Hope this helps! Good luck and Have fun!

Bob

Phil Hanson
    Participant

thanks Bob @mindsketch, appreciate the info and I will definitely check those resources out. I like the idea of starting simple and building up over time.

Phil Hanson
    Participant

figured it out and first sampled instrument in the queue to be published, thanks for your help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.