Step by step: Using Pianobook samples for those new to sampled instruments

Home Forums Pianobook Step by step: Using Pianobook samples for those new to sampled instruments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am very excited by some of the recordings I have been listening to using Pianobook instruments. I have downloaded several Pianobook samples to begin learning how to load and use these instruments in recording and live performance. It is all new to me and I am not having any luck finding a guide for newbies. For example do I have to buy a sample player or are these somehow loadable in my DAW (Cakewalk Sonar). I would really appreciate someone pointing me to a user guide or video or even offer a few pointers here to get underway. Thanks!

bo dinbo din
    Participant

Hi there and welcome to Pianobook !

Where to start ?

Probably the best way forward for you is to download the free Kontakt Player.

Once installed on your computer you can select from the 50 instruments that come with it and learn the basics. You can tweak these particular instruments and change setting and save to use again and they don’t time out after 15 minutes.

You can also load Kontakt Player into any DAW that can host VST plugins (I assume Sonar can, but I don’t know for sure.)

Kontakt Player is essentially a demonstration device allowing you to trial Kontakt before you purchase it and while every instrument will load, the vast majority will time out after 15 minutes, after which you lose any settings and need to reload to continue to play.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6-player/

Once you have downloaded and installed it, if you launch it on its own, you may have to go into the settings with the cog wheel to get audio and perhaps the pc keyboard or MIDI device connected.

You’ll need to search for, or add, new plugins if you want to load it in Sonar.

Hope it gets you on the way.

Participant

Thanks for the reply. I must admit I missed the significance of why the various samples kept mentioning Kontakt. I will give it a try right away!

bo dinbo din
    Participant

Let us know how you get on with it and also if you need any pointers.

Participant

Hi, thanks for the intro to Kontakt Player. I have another question: Why is that almost all sample libraries i look for on the internet, requires Kontakt?

It is like we are forced to buy Kontak (399€) if we want to play with libraries? Is there not a cheaper alternative to Kontakt?

bo dinbo din
    Participant

Hi Dreams,

I’ve spent a while trying to write a concise response, but fail miserably every time. Suffice it to say that Kontakt is the dominant force in the market. And as such, it will return the most results.

There is no alternative to Kontakt for playing kontakt libraries. (except for really old libraries from K1, K2 and K3).

But on Pianobook, many of the contributors have included not only the library in their preferred formats (nki/nkm, exs, sfz and others) but also the .wav files that you can use in other samplers to create or edit yourself.

Here’s a link to reviews of 17 of the hundreds of sample players. Some can only load and play one sample at a time while others can load multiple samples and might get you on the road.
    https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-16-best-software-samplers-in-the-world-today-361804

Participant

Hi Bo

Thank you for the reply and the information/link.
    I understand that Kontakt is the “standard” today, but it makes it expensive for “rookies”, students and other musicians/composers with low income.

I was hopping that you would send me a link to a free sampler that everyone could use 🙂

I guess I will have to save some money and buy Kontakt.

Thanks again for your quick response and have a great day.

bo dinbo din
    Participant

I’m sorry you’re hopping, lol.
    I am a man of permanently low income, and it took a long, long, long time before I finally purchased Kontakt (as part of Komplete).

Including an upgrade last year Komplete has cost me about £1.85 a week in the 6 years I have had it, and if I had known that I would have bought Komplete years before.

Maybe someone else has some useful advice ?
    Or you could try asking over on KVRaudio for ideas.

Participant

Dreams. Another vote for Komplete but I would also sign up for Native Instruments newsletter as you will be notified of offers. I once saw the full version of Kontakt for $99 in a flash sale.

Participant

There is a free option, it’s just that not many people use it. That would be the SFZ format. If you can find a program that will convert Kontakt to SFZ, you’d be set. A few of the instruments here already have SFZ options, but it’s very few.

Participant

Hi Bo and Bob

A little information on me: I have been playing the piano and the guitar for many years and used Cubase for recording my compositions and used hardware for instruments/effects.
    Recently I have been updated Cubase and looking into software (Instrument libraries, virtual instruments, effects etc.)

Sorry for the questions, but it is hard for me to see through these packages, as I am all new in this field.

what is Komplete? As I understand Komplete contains a lot of instruments and some libraries and includes Kontakt as well – correct? If so why would I need Komplete, would Kontakt not be enough for me? Will I regret I didn’t buy a Komplete package?

Participant

Hi Roryhoffman

Thank you for the input. It sounds troublesome to start converting Kontakt format to SFZ format, I am almost convinced to buy Kontakt/Komplete.

I do like the idea of not getting “stuck” in proprietary formats, but again, I foresee that I will be using a lot of time converting and troubleshooting – unfortunately!

Participant

what is Komplete? As I understand Komplete contains a lot of instruments and some libraries and includes Kontakt as well – correct? If so why would I need Komplete, would Kontakt not be enough for me? Will I regret I didn’t buy a Komplete package?

Hi Dreams You have answered your own question about what Komplete is. To be honest I bought it with the Native Instruments S61 keyboard for a steller price. That said I do use several of the instruments.

I too use Cubase and you may decide that the Virtual Instruments that Steinberg provide added to the full version of Kontakt meets all your needs so you dont need Komplete.

Having the full Kontakt though just opens up a new world of sounds and my latest album which is being mastered has so many instruments from this collection here on Pianobook.

Participant

If you buy Komplete select, that still doesn’t have the full kontakt player. you’ll have to buy Komplete 12 at least.

Participant

Thanks, Bob and roryhoffman.

I will buy Komplete (not Komplete select ;.)), bbut will wait til NI comes with an offer I can’t resist.

Bob, would it be possible to listen to some of your songs – I would be interested?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook