Sound feedback- mic placement (Felt Piano)

Home Forums Pianobook Sound feedback- mic placement (Felt Piano)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone !
    I am the lucky owner of an August Foster grand I felted, and have the chance of having access to Coles 4038 mics for about 2 weeks, so I figured now might be the best time to try and create a vst out of it.

I recorded this short track yesterday night, and feel like the sound is too “dull”,especially in the low range. Does anyone with more experience than I do in recording and processing felt pianos could give some feedback on thee sound and suggest solutions to improve it ? Or is it just something that should be EQ’ed ?

Would removing the lid of the piano help ?

I want to make sure to have the best possible sound before I actually record the samples.
    thank you for all feedback !

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarSarahCoponat.
    bo dinbo din
    Participant

Hi Sarah,

There isn’t a great deal of activity in this forum with the site being run more like a repository at the moment. If you don’t get any useful response, I’d suggest trying Christian Henson Music on youtube (or maybe elsewhere) or Pianobook on youtube (again possibly elsewhere).

Christian seems to communicate about Pianobook everywhere except on Pianobook, which I guess makes sense as he probably has more views elsewhere.

And he has said before that Pianobook is essentially run by volunteers and doesn’t take priority.

If the worst comes to the worst you could contribute your samples in as good a state as you can and then maybe someone will take it to the next level.

All the best
    bo din

Participant

Doesn’t sound dull to me Sarah.

Would removing the lid of the piano help ?

Sampling is a lot about experimenting so my advice is give it a try.

As for getting the best sound – the advice I always remember is get somebody to play what you want to sample and move around until your ears find the best sound then stick the mics there.

I look forward to hearing your instrument in the future.

Regards

Bob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook