Home Forums Pianobook Should I start with SFZ or Decent Sampler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sonder1966A
    Participant

Hello, I would like to get the creation of virtual instruments and I’m just wondering which of these applications should I start with?
    Is there any advantage with either one, for example, mapping, round robins velocity etc and can I make a better GUI with SFZ or with Decent Sampler?
    Is it easy to implement cc controllers in each one?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sid
    Participant

Hello.
    I was a big SFZ user and promoter for years (decades?) even in the early days of this forum. However, I have quickly moved to the Decent Sampler format.
    The main reasons are:
    1. The ability to create a beautiful custom GUI for your samplepack. Plogue, the maker of Sforzando SFZ player, usually charges developers for the ability to create custom interfaces. sfizz, the other main SFZ player is open source, and currently it lets you stick a photo on the front, but clearly it was not designed to be beautiful. Also, the SFZ specification has little in the way of GUI codes other than image=path-to-image.
    2. Random Robin – both formats allow for round robins, but random robins are a hassle in SFZ.
    3. Packaging – you can zip the whole package of files into one file and unzip it to edit very easily.

On the other hand SFZ has a long history, and therefore more supported features (many related to synthesis).
    Check out the tutorial section of sfzformat.com to see if those features are important to you.

Sonder1966A
    Participant

Thanks a lot for this, yes I have started to use DS and am finding it great.

I have one question in terms of using colour; is there a colour picker anywhere in the 8-digit ARGB colour format, as I have no idea how to use this sort of hex stuff?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

Sid
    Participant

hugabor.github.io/color-picker/ (select argb on the left, and then click and drag the color codes up or down)
    If you use an rgb color picker, just add FF to the left side for 100% opaque. to 00 for 100% transparent.

Sonder1966A
    Participant

Many thanks.

Sonder1966A
    Participant

WOW!
    That is so cool!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.