Home Forums Pianobook Rhodesian Keys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    The Ansion
    Participant

I think I’ve tried pretty much every Rhodes vst over the years and this has suddenly jumped in to my now go to Rhodes instrument so thank you! It sounds great on it’s own and even better re-amped.

I’m never down in that register but I have noticed that G0 can be a wee bit temperamental with the round robins. Like I said, I’m never really down in that register so it doesn’t bother me and I’m not the most clued up when it comes to checking under the hood in Kontakt.

Vyacheslav Basharov
    Participant

Hi, glad you’re using the library and thanks for the feedback! Quite happy with how it turned out.

Haven’t noticed the G0 thing, I’ll have a look at what’s going on there…maybe a sampling artifact I missed.

Is the velocity curve ok for you? On the Rhodes the action is quite stiff/sluggish, not sure if I need to compensate for this in the library to make it more playable.

The Ansion
    Participant

The best way I found to do it was to just repeatedly play and hold the note (even use a sustain pedal) and I get a very short note creeping in occasionally (which makes me think its the RRs).

The velocity was fine for me – I’m not a great player at the best of times so it suits my needs perfectly. Other people have different tastes to how their Rhodes sound/plays I guess.

Synthiemental
    Participant

Hey there,
    the demo sounds really good. I found that you made a VST plugin version of this previously. Is that still available? Asking, since I don’t own full Kontakt and I’m a huge electric piano fan.

Regarding the name “Rhodesian”, I’m sure there is no bad intent, but Rhodesia used to be a settler colonial state in Southern Africa that, similar to Apartheid South Africa, violently oppressed and disenfranchised the local African majority.

How about for example “Rhodeo Keys” as an alternative name?

Peter Hintze
    Participant

‘@Vyacheslav:

Thank you, a really great instrument !!

For my part, it would be even more realistic, if the amount of release velocity would modify the volume of the release samples.
    I will have a look at the Kontakt script..

Vyacheslav Basharov
    Participant

‘@planist that would be a nice touch! If you manage to do it, share the script I’ll add it to the library.

The best way I found to do it was to just repeatedly play and hold the note (even use a sustain pedal) and I get a very short note creeping in occasionally (which makes me think its the RRs).

Ah yes found it – I’ll need to resubmit, but in the meantime you can fix it by opening the Mapping Editor and removing the sample at G1, velocity 94 (RhodesMK1_G1_100.wav), and filling the remaining gap with the one below.

I found that you made a VST plugin version of this previously. Is that still available?

I did start on a VST version (the one from the video), but switched to Kontakt since it was more familiar to me, easier to develop and distribute. It’s not available yet, but I’ll keep you posted!

Regarding the name “Rhodesian”…

No bad intent there whatsoever, thanks for pointing it out. I’ll think about changing it.

Peter Hintze
    Participant

don’t change the name. there was no bad intent and music + instrument names should not limited by a PC debate..IMO

Vyacheslav Basharov
    Participant

Of course, although people have a right to voice their concerns. I’ll leave the name as it is. Hopefully we can look past it and enjoy the instrument. And thanks for the positive comments and reviews so far 🙂

Back on topic – I’m also looking into sample noise/hiss reduction, trying various tools at the moment. It’s not a huge deal but definitely noticeable with many voices. If the results are good I’ll release a de-noised version as well.

Synthiemental
    Participant

don’t change the name. there was no bad intent and music + instrument names should not limited by a PC debate

I guess based on this premise someone could release a sample lib named “Holocaust Vibes”?

Peter Hintze
    Participant

Someone who likes synthesizers but has mental issues may feel discriminated by your name.

I could name my next piano library ‘Mugabe Forever’.. what would you say?

This discussion could go on forever and should really not be the focus here.

wordsSHIFTminds
    Participant

Hello, Vyacheslav. Greetings from New Zealand. I love ‘Rhodesian Keys’ and was ready to submit a demo I’d recorded when I discovered that the instrument had been removed from the site, possibly because of the G0 problem mentioned here by The Ansion? When I first downloaded and attempted to use it I found the entire bottom octave was silent. The second time I tried, however, it was fine… Odd. I followed the above suggestions for stretching the samples manually. I hope you’re able to resubmit the instrument and replace it, as it’s definitely the best virtual Rhodes I’ve ever heard.

In any case, if you’d like to hear my demo track before I’m able to submit it to pianobook, you’ll find it here:

All the best – and thanks again for your excellent contribution to the site.

Chris Bell
    (wordsSHIFTminds)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.