Reverb and Delay

Home Forums Pianobook Reverb and Delay

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is it just me, or are many of the sample instruments here drenched with reverb and/or delay? Sure that can make them fabulously rich and full.

Personally I prefer the option to add effects such as these judiciously as needed. Maybe includea wet/dry control to give the user a choice? Sometimes you really don’t want heavy reverb or delay, and editing is not always straightforward.

Participant

I presume you mean the samples are recorded with reverb already added. My experience is there aren’t that many other than the natural reverb from the room, though admittedly I favour acoustically recorded instruments.
    A lot have reverb that is already be applied via the sampler when loaded up but you can always adjust this or turn it off within Kontakt, Decent Sampler, etc.

Participant

Hi Tim, and thanks for your response – I appreciate it.

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about and I admit that I’ve only been using Kontakt for a few months (bought it during the annual NI sale using a cross-grade from a free Kontak-Player library). So I am still a relative newbie. As an example, I love the richness of the Pianobook “Bamboo” instrument, but the reverb and delay was too much, and interfered with the melody to the extent that I couldn’t use it (the delay was bouncing into the melody).

I did try to edit the nki within Kontakt (6), but depite an hour of fiddling and twiddling, could not reduce either the delay of reverb. I guess I still have an awful lot to learn about Kontakt.

Participant

Steve,
    Interesting that you chose the “Bamboo” instrument, since it specifically says:
    Multiple reverbs and delays were stacked together to create a mass of sound, and then captured as an impulse response. The IR was then used in Kontakt along with some more reverb and delay. (emphasis mine)

It seems you went to a horse auction, somehow bought the only camel on offer, were surprised that it was not a horse, and then proclaimed that all they sell are camels. (just pulling your chain haha).

So, out of curiosity, I downloaded the Bamboo instrument and listened to the raw sample. It is super dry. If you are handy with Kontakt, you could create your own instrument with that sample mapped (I believe it is an A, there is only one.) Alternatively, you could click the wrench to open the instrument, scroll down to where it says Instrument Send FX, and delete them all (convolution reverb, reverb, and delay are there), scroll down to Modulation, and you can play with the Release length. Should make it as dry as the original sample.

Participant

Haha,
    Thanks Sid,
    Clearly I chose the wrong example, probably because that was one I was trying to make use of most recently. Possibly the reason I choose some of the instruments I have downloaded is that they sound so darn good in their camel suits! But then I find out that while they work brilliantly as a sole/feature intrument, they would be useful in a variety of other uses if they weren’t quite so wet.

I did try to fiddle with the Instruments Send FX, but clearly I was too timid. Thanks for your advice, I will try these and save as a separate instrument (because I still like it as is). I noticed that there is only one sample, so it should be easy enough, even for me. As mentioned I’m not very experienced with Kontakt, but I have tried creating my own very basic instruments (based on other people’s raw samples), so I certainly will experiment as you have suggested.

I will also try to pay more attention at the horse sales from now on.

Thanks,
    Steve

Participant

Thanks Sid,
    I took your advice, just bypassed the Send FX, which gave me nice dry sound that I was able to use. I saved it as Bamboo-Dry.nki – Being able to apply reverb through the DAW effects plug-ins gave me just the right amount of reverb I needed. Great to learn something new 🙂
    Cheers,
    Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook