“Redoing” instrument submissions (Can I/should I?)

Home Forums Pianobook “Redoing” instrument submissions (Can I/should I?)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve been lingering in the pianobook ecosystem for a while now, mostly just playing around with the libraries and occasionally doing a demo.

There is this piano library from pianobook.. Blunthner style piano, that sounds so amazing, it’s so good. The caveat is that I really only like it (alot) when its below that ~30 velocity dynamic layer. Every time I use it I basically end up pulling the velocities on a performance down to that area. And this instrument in that area is probably one of the best piano sample sounds I’ve used (problem is that that region is just not quite playable as it is). I want to play *those* samples.

1) I was wondering (I know nothing about kontakt) if possible, how easy it would be to poke around with the samples and reprogram it such that that bottom dynamic layer is the predominant velocity layer (say from 1-112 or w/e), and the next layer up still present just for those points of emphasis.. I guess this would be kinda akin to playing with the action of a real acoustic piano.

2) Also, if I do it and it plays well, is it something worth sharing here? Seems a bit weird doing that with someone else’s (especially with the sentimental connection to the owner).. I suppose I could ask them directly. I just think a super soft action on this particular instrument would sound very very nice to play.

Anyways, if you have an answer to 1 or 2.. I’d really appreciate it!
    thanks!

Participant

Hi,
    1. This is pretty simple to do. It is really a basic concept within Kontakt. If you have a look at this video:
    How to Creat a Kontakt instrument
    the link should skip ahead to 6:46 where he shows how samples and velocities are mapped. The samples for your instrument are already mapped, so you just need to drag a few velocity cutoffs up.

2. As far as sharing… well, it is so easy, it may not be worth putting the pianobook team through the hassle of creating a new instrument page just for that.

Participant

Oh wow, does seem to be pretty simple! I see what you mean about it being too simple for sharing.

Right off the back I think my fear about moving the velocity cutoffs up alone, it may make it sound a little flat. I wonder if it’s possible to create velocity mapping within the same dynamic layer (just by changing the volume of the sample) so there does seem to be some expression with that limited sample set.

I dunno, I think I’ll keep poking around with it–thanks for the link!

Participant

Oh wow-I gotta say-the amount of reward to effort from doing this was just so unbelievable.
    Turns out I wanted the three most bottom dynamic layers.. and giving them each about equal space in the velocity range (~40 velocity units each) was the way to go.

Instantly made the instrument sound exactly the way I wanted.. and made it so much easier to perform in the way I wanted with it.

thank you!

Participant

Congrats!
    I was wondering how it turned out for you. Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Participant

I have discovered the velocity modulation maniuplator thing. My mind is now blown, and I am in full love with this vst

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook