Rank newbie questions

Home Forums Pianobook Rank newbie questions

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, until last night I didn’t know of Pianobook- YouTube slipped a Christian Henson Music into my recommendation list. In the video, Christian asked Have you ever seen a drum machine like this (Spanky). Later, in the video, Christian started reviewing music sent in by members.
    At 5:25 in the clip, he showed a screen (Kontakt, which I’d never heard of – remember, I’m totally newb). Anyway, on the Kontakt screen were several colourful strips from Spitfire (you guessed it – all new to me).
    I’m going to research both (Kontakt and Spitfire). I’m guessing Kontakt is like a software keyboard (maybe) and Spitfire is, actually I have no idea.
    What were those colourful Spitfire strips on the Kontakt screen? (My old iPad is too blurry to make out much writing on the screen).
    Eg; are the strips different sound samples that act like DAW plugins which lets you use Kontakt to ‘get creative’ and mix them together?
    My interest in it is this: I’m a wannabe author, I’ve written and managed to publish several science fiction novels. Now I’m setting up to try and narrate them (I can’t afford a professional narrator so am practicing to do it myself). And I want to experiment with adding a subtle background sound channel. I’m wondering if Kontakt and Spitfire is a way into that. Or maybe some sound effect library. Not sure.
    Right now, I’m just trying to understand what Christian was looking at on his screen at 5:25 of his YouTube clip.
    If anyone can shed some light for me or point me in a direction I’d be grateful.

Participant

Hi, Kontakt is available as a plugin hosted by a daw (digital audio workstation) like Reaper, Cubase, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Pro Tools etc.

Kontakt also provides a standalone version, no hosting ‘daw’ required.

Kontakt plays sound libraries created in it’s proprietary format, and allows editing/creating
    of those sound librairies.

Spitfire is a competing product, with it’s own formats and capabilities, and various free
    extended software, as a give-back to support musicians, sampling devotees, and sound designers.

vst and vsti are common plugin formats created by Steinberg (who supply Cubase daw)
    Vst effects are used to surround the sounds at hand that are hosted in a daw track, (or in
    standalone software app capable of hosting)

So you could have a daw like Reaper, hosting Kontakt, that in turn loaded sounds from various
    libray suppliers, and Spitfires competing plugin could be on a second track, also hosting
    sounds, and you add tracks to build your composition.

For narating, you could create a track in reaper, and use a compressor plugin and reverb
    plugin to dial in your voice, and this link will provide some quality videos on doing
    voice-overs in Reaper…

youtube is LOADED with good Reaper-daw videos, for both newcomers,
    and pros alike!
    Welcome to the realm orf virtual studio technology! And PianoBook!
    and enhance their

Participant

Hi, Kontakt is available as a plugin hosted by a daw (digital audio workstation) like Reaper, Cubase, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Pro Tools etc.

Kontakt also provides a standalone version, no hosting ‘daw’ required.

Kontakt plays sound libraries created in it’s proprietary format, and allows editing/creating
    of those sound librairies.

Spitfire is a competing product, with it’s own formats and capabilities, and various free
    extended software, as a give-back to support musicians, sampling devotees, and sound designers.

vst and vsti are common plugin formats created by Steinberg (who supply Cubase daw)
    Vsti are virtual instruments that provide sounds, Vst effects are used to surround those sounds at hand that are hosted on a daw track, (or in a standalone software app capable of hosting)

So you could have a daw like Reaper, hosting Kontakt, that in turn loaded sounds from various
    library suppliers, and Spitfires competing plugin could be on a second track, also hosting
    sounds, and you add more tracks to build your composition.

For narrating, you could create an audio track in reaper, and use a compressor plugin and reverb
    plugin to dial in your voice, and this link will provide some quality videos on doing
    voice-overs in Reaper…

youtube is LOADED with good Reaper-daw videos, for both newcomers, and pros alike! google search will find them. Welcome to the realm of virtual studio technology! And PianoBook!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatarguildorf.
    Participant

Okay, understood Guildorf. Thank you for that explanation. I can see how the pieces fit together. I’m off to explore the links you gave me.

Participant

One thing not mentioned. While Spitfire does make a sample player that could be seen as a competing product to Kontakt, most of what they make is sound libraries that are used within Kontakt (that is what you saw as the colourful Spitfire strips on the Kontakt screen).

Also, buying Kontakt and Spitfire to do a little light background music for an audiobook, would be wildly overkill. Unless you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to look at the Spitfire LABS free set of virtual instruments, the Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover (also free, requires filling out a survey if I recall), and any library on this site for the DecentSampler sample player (also free).

Participant

Ha ha…no Sid, I’m not currently suffering from maximus moneyus. The Lite versions would be perfect for my project. Thank you for the tip.

BemusedBemused
    Participant

Hi Jerry
    If you are a windows user (W10 pref). Then you can d/load and use this free DAW https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
    It’s more than capable of covering what you would like to do. And includes free instruments and effects.
    Then you can d/load Decent Sampler (which runs within Cakewalk), and run many of the free Decent Sampler instruments available here on Pianobook

Participant

A successful guy’s son rescued the Sonar daw/Cakewalk brand from the ash heap
    of failed corporate software, and the apple fell close to the tree. They offer various collaboration products to help fund the rather aggressive update regimen. It’s a well supported high end daw, without a pricetag, and of course can be used for minimalist or targeted basic projects. Some fine instruments and effects are part of the daw bundle, so a good fit for hosting and embellishing the great DecentSampler.
    Cheers

durabledurable
    Participant

I wanted to add that there are a ton of free synths that can help you do sci-fi effects also. Just search free vst synths and you’ll find a lot of options. For background to your audiobook “pads” are probably they type patches/sounds you may want to investigate. I’m not well versed on synths and patches, but I’m almost sure there are some sci-fi synth pad patches out there for some of the free instruments.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by durabledurable. Reason: corrected wrong information
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook