Home Forums Pianobook MSoundfactory format inclusion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tapsa Kuusniemi
    Participant

Just wondering the lack of MSoundfactory format selection when submitting samples. Now granted you need to own the full version to CREATE new libraries but as a format it is nice since the free player version can play any 3rd party created library, making it a good choice when creating libraries. Any talk of this being added to choices?

bo din
    Participant

No, absolutely none at all.

But let’s see what next year brings; you may have started a stampede of requests MSoundfactory format.

I downloaded the 14_16 version of MSoundfactory a while back but never got around to installing it.

Sid
    Participant

Hmm, Kontakt 6 is currently $199 while MSoundFactory (which I had never heard of until now) is $182. Decent Sampler and SFZ are free.
    Seems to me MSoundFactory has quite an uphill climb. Does it have some special features that makes it likely that people will want it more than Kontakt in the future?

Tapsa Kuusniemi
    Participant

The upside of MSoundfactory for the user is that the free version plays any 3rd party created sample library unlike Kontakt Player. So the full version of MSoundfactory is only needed from the creator of sample libraries.

Other upsides are (this is a personal opinion) the fact that MSoundfactory doesn’t need to be scripted (legato can be implemented with transition samples without scripting), creating modulations and connections within MSoundfactory is alot quicker IMO and the GUI creation is sooo much easier. MSoundfactory also imports SFZ so you can easily map any previously made SFZ format sample library there.

But still the biggest things for the USER is that you can use the free player to play any library created with MSoundfactory. And I think that would be keeping with the spirit of Pianobook. 🙂

Tapsa Kuusniemi
    Participant

Also forgot that within MSoundfactory you have all the Melda effects and plugins in use, even if you don’t own them as separate plugins. And the Melda effects are far superior to the ones inside Kontakt. 🙂

Sid
    Participant

The download page says “The sampler also features a powerful sample bank system, so that you can put all samples in a single highly compressed yet fast repository for caching and distribution.” Is the proprietary file format required? Pianobook prefers that the original wav files are available for downloaders so there is not such a distinction between creators and users. Get the samples and use them how you like. This is the beauty of the SFZ and DecentSampler formats. If I download a samplepack in MSoundfactory format, how easy is it for me to alter it?

Tapsa Kuusniemi
    Participant

From the top of my head I do not remember can you leave the samples uncompressed.

Leon
    Participant

The download page says “The sampler also features a powerful sample bank system, so that you can put all samples in a single highly compressed yet fast repository for caching and distribution.” Is the proprietary file format required? Pianobook prefers that the original wav files are available for downloaders so there is not such a distinction between creators and users. Get the samples and use them how you like. This is the beauty of the SFZ and DecentSampler formats. If I download a samplepack in MSoundfactory format, how easy is it for me to alter it?

I’ve just recently installed MSoundfactory to try the Free Grand Piano and unfortunately, as it sounds great, am about to uninstall it, from what I’ve seen, after a quick search, there are no Free Libraries anywhere (Apart from the Piano), unless the OP knows of any links?

It is a proprietary format from what I can gather which goes against what Pianobook stands for, as can’t find any info about opening the .msample format used by MSoundfactory by other Apps!

Think this would be like reinventing the wheel and the MSoundfactoryPlayer is not very workflow friendly IMHO, plus it didn’t work properly as when trying to select an Instrument from the Menus is just kept automatically scrolling through them…..Very convoluted and confusing, when with DS I can just load what I want and play and can freely edit anything I want. I can even just make my own Library from Samples I’ve D/L’d for my own use easily, not something that MSoundfactory is designed to do.

Just my .2c

Leon

Leon
    Participant

Just to add, the Effects in MSoundfactory may look impressive, but for me, way too many options and as most built into most DAWS are mostly efficient/good enough or 3rd Party ones (Free or Paid) do the job, no real need for more, they can’t do what you may already have installed or are available as single Plugins.

Leon

Tapsa Kuusniemi
    Participant

It is a proprietary format from what I can gather which goes against what Pianobook stands for, as can’t find any info about opening the .msample format used by MSoundfactory by other Apps!

Well, if you happen to compress the samples in Kontakt you can’t open them either…

Personally I would have problems sharing samples in multiple formats as a lot of things here are already in multiple format.

Just to add, the Effects in MSoundfactory may look impressive, but for me, way too many options and as most built into most DAWS are mostly efficient/good enough or 3rd Party ones (Free or Paid) do the job, no real need for more, they can’t do what you may already have installed or are available as single Plugins.

I am looking at MSoundfactory from the view point of a creator of libraries. And for that the possibility of using the Melda effects as part of an instrument is a big thing. You can easily build up complex instruments with it. If I have something in mind that I would want to create instrument wise then I can’t rely on what someone using the instrument has on their system and here the Melda effects beat the effects in say Kontakt.

Tapsa Kuusniemi
    Participant

I’ve just recently installed MSoundfactory to try the Free Grand Piano and unfortunately, as it sounds great, am about to uninstall it, from what I’ve seen, after a quick search, there are no Free Libraries anywhere (Apart from the Piano), unless the OP knows of any links?

I did an MSoundfactory version for my E String Bass that is here on Pianobook and it is included there. It’s a separate zip file in the main directory. 🙂

John McCaffrey
    Participant

OOh I’ll check that out – I’m definitely interested to see more msoundfactory instruments…I just picked it up over holiday sale season and am keen to explore a bit

Sid
    Participant

I am looking at MSoundfactory from the view point of a creator of libraries.

Ok, in general that’s fine for you to do. However, for the PianoBook project, I see little benefit. People can create DecentSampler (DS) or SFZ instruments without buying any extra software. They can easily open any of the hundreds of instruments in DS format (or the smaller number of SFZ) and examine and update the code or just see how a particular feature was achieved for their own use. Kontakt and EXS have the benefit of having a large user base. MSoundfactory is not free (for creators), not open, and does not have a large user base. It seems like the Sony Betamax of samplers (which is to say technically better does not always win in the marketplace).
    So if you want to create a sample instrument that lots of PianoBook users will actually use, you might want to create it in one of the formats mentioned above.

Sid
    Participant

(continued)
    Take it from someone who tried hard to get traction for SFZ on this site (a robust format that has been around for more than a decade) but saw it get beat out by the DS format which is only a year old, has much less functionality, but which solves a big problem with SFZ which is that the SFZ player is ugly and not customizable. I’m happy to go with the flow. DS is functional enough for most of the sample instruments on this site (and getting more functions all the time), and I find that I use it more than SFZ now on new projects.

Leon
    Participant

I did an MSoundfactory version for my E String Bass that is here on Pianobook and it is included there. It’s a separate zip file in the main directory. 🙂

I have that and your beautiful Lobby Piano in SFZ, already, thank you for your contributions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.