Midi note number confusion // Decent Sampler

Home Forums Pianobook Midi note number confusion // Decent Sampler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    markusmarkus
    Participant

Yesterday I tried to adapt one of my sampler instruments that already works fine in EXS to Decent Sampler. In DS it works pretty well, too, but: it’s sounds one octave too low.
    I think (maybe) the problem might be my translation of notes to midi numbers. I did some research about this topic and now I’m even more confused. 🙂
    For example: one source translates C3 to midi number #48. A different source translates it to #60.
    “Middle C” varies between C3 and C5.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
    markus

markusmarkus
    Participant

ok – everything’s fine now. 🙂
    C3 must be #60. So I just added 12 to every note number and that’s it.
    (Just in case anybody else will have the same problem.)

Participant

Sadly, there is no standard. Middle C is always note number 60 but it may be described by a different octave designation – C3, C4 or C5.

Here is a Quote from Vanderbilt School of Music:
    “There are TWO conventions for numbering keys (notes) in MIDI. The most common is where MIDDLE C (note #60; $3C) is C3 (C in the 3rd octave). However, another convention was adopted by Yamaha Corp. for their synthesizer products which parallels the Octave Designation System used in Music Education formulated by the Acoustical Society of America. In that convention, Middle C is designated “C4”. The “C3 Convention” is the most commonly used octave designation system on standard MIDI keyboards…”

I have read elsewhere that middle C has THREE standards including C5, but always note number 60.

markusmarkus
    Participant

Hi Sid,
    thanks for clarification!

Participant

For what it is worth: In his Decent Sampler Preset Tutorial David Hillowitz also maps c3 to note number 60. So that is the standard he is using for DS… I guess?.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook