Mason Hamlin-A (Dore-M)

Home Forums Pianobook Mason Hamlin-A (Dore-M)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GigabangGigabang
    Participant

PHWOAR!
    What a contribution. Sterling sounding piano straight out the box.
    E0 – E1 sounds very reministant of the piano I grew up hammering as a child. So good!

Peter HintzePeter Hintze
    Participant

+1
    yes well done!

unfortunately, there is no way to comment directly on the instruments’ page. this would be nice.

Participant

Thanks for the compliment – first time on the forum here. First time sampling – I noodled around for awhile until my new mics came in and then got to work. I’m glad people appreciate exactly why I love my piano – the lower section without the gritty metallic growl that you hear so much from other pianos. Mason and Hamlin’s just have a thick sound in that register.

Please post a demo if you haven’t already. Its extremely gratifying to hear others use it.

-Dore

Participant

Hey Dore,
    I just found out that there is an SFZ patch included, which is great for us non-Kontakt users.

Unfortunately it’s not immediately evident on the instrument’s profile page where in the Description -> Contents section on the rightern side it only says “Kontakt”.

Would it be possible to change that into “Kontakt & SFZ”? That would make it much more likely for SFZ users like me to find your gem in the future. Alternatively you could upload just the SFZ mapping file separately and create a second link “SFZ” to that file only, see this instrument’s profile as an example: https://www.pianobook.co.uk/library/banjo-ukulele-banjolele/

Thank you
    Isaak
    aka Synthiemental

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarSynthiemental.
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I uploaded it separately so it’s more obvious. I purposely made that file because others on the other board that I subscribe to – pianoworld probably also don’t have Kontakt.

-Dore

Participant

Hi Dore

I have used the samples from your folder to make a conversion as I do not have Kontakt 6.

It’s in a different engine which i use now and I have had fellow Pianobook user Darren J Prescott check out my conversion (he has Kontakt 6) and says it sounds good. It would be good to hear if my conversion sounds good to you as the original curator.

I think your piano and sampling are excellent and I have used it in my new album that I have just started to write. It is SO playable 🙂

Regards

Bob

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92oa461f0tt37nu/MasonHamlin-A%20Kontakt%205.8%20PS.zip?dl=0

Participant

It’s totally similar to mine, and the added controls allow for much easier tweaking. Some notes on my thought process on the original…

I started with that Samson GoMic and practiced the workflow and mic positions. I borrowed another condenser mic and started to mess around with stereo recording. I was comparing it to other sampled pianos that I have, including Sol’s Piano. Adding the stereo helped alot, but those crappy mics I used were too harsh. So I kept tweaking using a low pass filter with a cutoff around 1500 Hz, but the overtones get lost. So I’d say the only difference with your version may be that I eq’d out some of the harshness on the GoMic layer specifically and kept the overtones alive with the AT2035’s.

I prefer playing sampled pianos that give you the sense of playing a piano yourself, as opposed to the perspective of the audience – so I close mic’d the strings when my AT2035’s came in. But then I thought just for the heck of it I’d use the GoMic to get further away from the strings and get some more of the room effect. So my preference is to rely on the AT2035’s and turn up the GoMic to taste.

Again, I’m happy people are using it, and if you use it for any recordings, do let me know and link me to it. Its the most fulfilling part of doing it.

-Dore

Participant

Thanks for the feedback Dore and I will post a link to my album when it’s finished as I used your piano 🙂

Participant

Does anyone know how to update the sample libraries posted? I tried to add the SFZ file, but the page hasn’t been updated yet. It could be that maybe they’re a bit busy with other things, and I can understand that. The pages are not update-able by the poster directly. @SYNTHIEMENTAL, feel free to post the sfz file on your github page.

But now that @DAVID-HILOWITZ has shown how to make Kontakt instruments with sustain pedal and without sustain pedal, I might spend some time adding the non-sustain pedal samples.

Do I just re-upload the library and ask them to update it?

-Dore

Participant

@dore_m

Thanks for your permission, I added the mapping to our GitHub SFZinstruments repo. You can find it here

I guess the admins are still figuring out how to improve the whole submission process. You are certainly not the only one experiencing such issues currently.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook