Home Forums Pianobook Making New From Old

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keith TheodosiouKeith Theodosiou
    Participant

I did post this on the first Pianobook forum but I will put it here in case you haven’t seen it.
    It is not a great video but it is something I do that helps hugely if you have writers block.

It is always a good idea to re visit music you have written years ago as you can rework them with better instruments you may have recently bought.

The video starts off with typed words but you will hear the music e.g.’s come in so make sure your volume isn’t too high.

I hope you enjoy it and it gives you renewed inspiration on your old pieces 🙂

Emil G.Emil G.
    Participant

So glad I found this. You are so right. I have dozens of unfinished ideas to troll. Next time I would like to see you on screen explaining the process, reading is OK, but… Love the music. Thanks Keith!!

Keith TheodosiouKeith Theodosiou
    Participant

Thanks Emil.
    When it come to writing music, there are many ways of approaching it.
    In my case, over the years I have grown my musical taste so what I tend to do is write a piece in say a classical style but then I will also use that theme and write that piece in a synth version and maybe guitar version and so on.

The best part about this way of composing is, once you have done all the hard work of working out the first piece, the rest is very easy as you have the music so all you have to do is just re arrange it to suit the new style you want to write it in.

Also, doing different versions of a piece in different styles gives you new ideas for that piece too.

I also sometimes use a motif from one piece and put it in a new piece I am working on if it fits. I don’t see anything wrong with doing that as that piece is independent from the first piece. Also what that sometimes does is if you do that on enough pieces, it could give you a complete score with all the cues using that motif.

There is so much we can do with just one piece of music.
    If you are an artist, you paint your picture and that is it, that picture is one moment in time but when you write a piece of music, it could be endless and take many routes.

Emil G.Emil G.
    Participant

Agreed. I like to mix and match, time signatures as well. I use Logic and it sucks when it comes to working with different files. I have to create a master using everything I want to draw from, then piece it together. This works, but limits you to the music you have included in the master. It is maddening when you want something from another file after the fact.

For a score, and to be time efficient, it seems best to keep all cues in a single project. Then it is easy to cut and paste as needed. I think work flow is very personal as to preferences, but driven by your choice of DAW. Wish there was a steering committee for developers to take feedback from us on these things.

I also have to comment on painting a picture, our art department, SpaDogs, creates original watercolours, and these can be changed and updated, So it is not a moment in time, but fluid to a point, and even erasable depending on the paint and process.

Certainly endless with many routes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instagram

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.

Log in as an administrator and view the Instagram Feed settings page for more details.

Follow Pianobook