Lockdown – HOW ARE YOU DOING?

Home Forums Pianobook Lockdown – HOW ARE YOU DOING?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Keith TheodosiouKeith Theodosiou
    Participant

The only real positive that will come from this in the end will be that governments all over the world will work together in the next year to work out plans that can be put into use straight away if anything like this ever happens again.

They should have learnt from that massive flu epidemic in the early 1900’s.

I also get the feeling that Humans all over the world now will see everyone as brothers and sisters together and not races.
    Well I hope so 🙂

Emil G.Emil G.
    Participant

Christian, thank you for all of your support. You are a shining light in the darkness that seems to be all around us.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. It really helps.

This has been incredibly difficult, disruptive and depressing. Business has virtually stopped. And although there are a lot of good people online, and we like to think of this as global community, community to me requires some time spent physically together. I am sad when I look at the empty chairs around the table where friends and collaborators once sat.

At first is was hard to even think about being creative, but I am past that now. Music is the cure and I am thankful for that.

Yesterday I received a delivery. The driver, dressed in a full hazmat suite, put it on the porch and ran. It was surreal, and very depressing. Especially because the likelihood that this will continue for months or even years, now seems unavoidable with the current governments that have seized power and control, and taken away our civil liberties.

I would love to be able to go out and see the sunrise everyday, but all of our parks here have been closed, and massive fines have been put into place should I attempt to reach them.

When this first happened I thought it might be an opportunity to get out and do some field recording of nature without all of the usual din of internal combustion engines. But that was short lived, as there is nowhere to go.

This has hurt us all deeply, but it is especially hard for the hardworking people I know that face financial ruin. And really that is what is hurting me the most.

I am one of the lucky ones and don’t face this type of calamity. So really I should not complain. Still I can’t shake the anxiety.

As a distraction, I have been knee deep in spring cleaning, and hope to create a sense of calm in the yard as spring turns to summer. It is still cold out and snow expected next week but there are buds on the trees and the bulbs are starting to pop out, so there is hope.

Participant

Hi Christian,

This lockdown could not have come at a less favourable time. My company I work for is bankrupt, my job is insecure and my grandmother died a few weeks ago. Life has hit me hard in these times.

BUT

I read Keith Theodosiou’s thread about his big mistakes in this forum and I’ve been through something similar. So I thought to myself: Now in this time it is perfect to start learning new things again. So I got myself a piano teacher (via Skype) and since then I practice piano every day and study harmony every day. Besides I also do home office…for the illusion 😀

Since the lockdown, I’ve finally come out of the rush and high speed of everyday life and into the quiet time again, so I have time to get to the root of the problems in my musical and private life. It is of course difficult to keep myself in a good mood every day, but I think it is really beautiful how the whole world stops and I have the feeling that everyone is taking a deep breath to reflect for a moment and prepare for the following months when everything starts again.

Thanks for reading
    Ben

Participant

Well, here in Sweden we seem to be very optimistic. When the Berlin wall came down we simply got rid of most of our army, home defence – and, civil defence with all the moveable hospitals (that did cost us a fortune to create)
    So, now we are waking up to a reality that pretty much changed everything, and this insight comes to mind: In this instant curling credit economy we now live in, there is no room for such things as Corona, or any disturbance at all really. We seem to fall flat in a matter of days.
    Spending my days in front of the computer, making some music and go deep diving into mixing tricks from the net, I can’t help thinking of my father. He is gone now, but he spent 5 years in the air force during the war. Apart from the airstrip they farmed the flottilla for potatoes, sallad and carrots.
    I think I will do some gardening tomorrow – we´ve got 14 degrees here now. So its about time I think.

Best to you all, and take care

Bosse, Stockholm Sweden

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by AvatarBosse.
    Participant

Day job involves implementing government homelessness strategies so it’s been interesting to see the shift from some funding and initiatives which make some difference swing quickly in the direction of ‘get everyone off the streets now and we’ll talk money later’. Not least of all because the reasons people might be homeless are also reasons why they won’t necessarily self-isolate or be aware of the news. After two weeks self isolation of my own (laptop, voip headset, 8 hours a day hustling remotely followed by youtube/Call of Duty in the evenings – cheers Christian for the videos, lovely distraction) I was back in the world, explaining to groups of lads that the PM is in intensive care, doctors are dying, and no, you can’t get your UC claim sorted because an extra million people have just signed on so there’s backlog but here’s a roof over your head and some food in your belly.

The panic attacks before heading out in the morning are the worst thing, knowing 95% of my friends are creatives or furloughed and safe indoors while I’m out getting coughed at, then there’s the realisation that it’s 4pm and you’ve been talking to an endless queue of people coming to you for five or six hours straight and your knees aren’t really up to it anymore and you can’t write down what you need to do because you’re shaking too much, so… the abstraction of contextless audio is a huge help, a new sample library to lose myself in, a different place to be… I’ve redirected my pub spending towards things like stratus and bitwig in March, sublimation works.

For every keyworker there’s someone creating something, on here or elsewhere, that takes their mind off the day they’ve had, and the value of that can’t be overstated.

Cheers all. Nothing is permanent, this will pass.

Keith TheodosiouKeith Theodosiou
    Participant

As someone who is putting themselves on the front line to help others in bad situations, you are doing a fantastic job @Creation Matrix !

Al I can say is just make sure you look after yourself and protect yourself at all times.
    Wear gloves and masks and all that. Even if you sit there in bin liners and you look weird, your health is more important than how you look at this time.

Stay safe and well done and try keep your spirits up. Like you say it won’t last forever!

Participant

I think the lockdown has made me finally accept that I’ve retired! Well, almost. At almost 73 years of age I’m supposedly ‘elderly’ and in a vulnerable group. I’m luckier than most maybe as I live in the country and have two acres of my own land to wander in. I haven’t been beyond the gate for weeks now. My nearest neighbour is about 300 yards away. I have my office/studio in a building next to the house so I can carry on as normal in that sense. My wife is a teacher and now working from home and my two girls are also at home as school and college are closed. Everyone doing stuff via the internet though.

I am starting to miss the freedom – and gutted that a recent few days in France with my wife was of course cancelled. We have a family trip to Normandy in July but I have no idea if that will go ahead yet. I’m used to spending my days more or less alone in ‘normal’ times but now have the family around all the time and it does change things. It’s the lack of control I feel frustrating – that and the lack of knowledge about what is really going on. I just don’t trust what we are being told – or at least not all of it. I can’t believe the incompetence of the uk government and the continual lying to us.

I’m writing more music than ever – two albums since the middle of February – over 2 hours of music in total and am working hard on number three. Downside is I am eating and drinking more and that can’t be good. I’m trying to remain optimistic and most days are ok. Most but not all.

Stay home – stay safe everyone – keep working on music – and this will pass.

Participant

My second album released today on all digital platforms and today I completed track 9 (of possibly 10 or 12) of album three. I’m trying to release an album – of about 50 minutes music every month during lockdown – and possibly beyond. Links can be found here: http://www.awpmusic.co.uk/2020/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by AvatarawpMusic.
    Participant

I don’t know whether I’m lucky or just foolish to keep on working as if nothing has changed at all. I’m currently in between studios since the acoustician and construction workers left me with a new studio and control room with harsh concrete walls where I can’t work.
    So I was supposed to work from my home studio these months anyway. Making backtracks for a play where rehearsals begin in August if all goes according to plan, I see some people stressed over lacking income, while I’m stressed because I’m working more than 100%. Alright, back to work…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Avatarlinus.
    Participant

Hi all,

First of all, Christian thanks for your response!

And thank you all for sharing your stories, sending all my best wishes to you all!!

All the best.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook