Home Forums Pianobook Let’s build a clockwork sample library together.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Hyldeman
    Participant

Hey there,

Lately I’ve been working on some music in which time is a very prominent theme. I developed this idea of making the rhythmic elements entirely out of clockwork sounds. So I started by sampling different elements of a mechanical alarm clock. A little composition that features these sounds can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/hyldeman/chronos-intro
    While I like the way it sounds, I wanted to go a little further and make a bigger and more versatile percussive sample library made entirely of these kinds of sounds. Now, obviously, it would take years and tons of work to find enough clocks and other mechanical devices and sample all of them, and I’m a broke artist, and thus I don’t have a lot of great recording equipment. So I thought, maybe we can make this a collaborative thing and build a huge clockwork of sound and make it available for everyone here on pianobook.
    There a multiple ways in which you can contribute to this:

1. Find a clock, an old camera, or whatever mechanical clicking, ticking, winding thingy you have lying around and make some sounds with it.
    2. You have great noise reduction software and too much time, and you want to offer your help in cleaning up the raw samples? That’s great!
    3. You have some other crazy idea that fits well into this theme? Please do share it with us!
    4. Maybe I am dreaming big here, but I was thinking it’d be cool to also build an actual Kontakt clockwork. Something like Sounddust’s Chaos Engine, but more basic. Essentially a little sequencer where you can program some patterns that can serve as a rhythmic loops etc. If you feel like you are up for it, please let me know and we can talk some more about it.
    4. If you are good at interface design and want to help make a coherent and user friendly design, you are more than welcome to join as well.

If you have any other ideas, questions or suggestions, just leave a reply here. I am very open as to where this is going, and I’d love as many people as possible to participate!
    Tell me what you think!

Let’s come together and make a clockwork of sound!

Watch the launch video here: https://youtu.be/qYDWyTdCDaM
    Send you samples via wetransfer to: [email protected]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.