Home Forums Pianobook K4 Samples in Decent Sampler Format

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul Waring
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m new here!

I have converted 67 Kawai K4 patches, I sampled back in 2006, into Decent Sampler instruments.

Is this the kind of thing you folks might be interested in?

I am happy to submit them but it may take me a while as I think it best to upload them individually as the whole set weighs in at 1.6Gb.

Thanks,

Paul.

Sid
    Participant

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
    Many original synth patches are under copyright, and are specifically forbidden to be copied/recorded to create other musical instruments. They may be recorded as part of a musical work, but not as a sound library.
    The last thing we want to do is to get PianoBook in hot water over copyrights and potentially shut down.

So, do you know the origins of the synth patches? did you create them, or were they created by Kawai or a third party?

Paul Waring
    Participant

Some of the patches are heavily modified by me, others may be stock.

I don’t want to get myself or anyone else into trouble, so I won’t distribute the samples.

I will however contact Kawai to ask if I can have their permission.

Paul Waring
    Participant

I’ve been in contact with Kawai in Japan.

The gentleman I have been dealing with says he will have to discuss it with his colleagues and get back to me in day or so.

It would appear that they don’t get asked for permission for this kind of thing.

Paul Waring
    Participant

I have received a reply from Kawai, Japan. They have given me permission to upload my instruments.

I received a response from some colleagues in R&D regarding your request.

Basically, we will allow you to upload the samples you have prepared, and Kawai will not complain nor pursue any legal action against you.

However, it should be clear that the samples you have prepared are not officially recognised/endorsed/licensed etc. by Kawai, and that Kawai does not provide any guarantee over the quality of their contents etc.

Provided you are aware of and agree to these conditions, I don’t believe there will be any problem in uploading the K4 samples that you have prepared to the PianoBook.co.uk website.

I hope that’s clear.

Sid
    Participant

Sounds like positive news. Be sure to hold onto those emails in case the issue comes up.

Paul Waring
    Participant

I archived the email as soon as I received it! 😉

guildorf
    Participant

Great you persevered to success, and that Kawai understand being supportive builds their brand,
    rather than threatening it!

There is a cool Kawai K1 synth freeware plugin at the link below, and I believe K4 is planned, perhaps your works would
    help that project move forward? Looking forward to some K4 in DecentSampler, for sure! Someone did some Korg sounds that are
    very useable. The more, the merrier.

Cheers

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/?s=en

Paul Waring
    Participant

I found Nils’ K1 a few weeks ago. I had a K1 before I had a K4. To my ears it sounds exactly the same.

I’m working on my K4 instruments right now. I should be able to upload them in the next day or so.

Paul Waring
    Participant

I have uploaded my instruments as 3 sample packs and they are awaiting review.

Paul Waring
    Participant

They’re available on the site now!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.