Is anyone using Pianolith?

Home Forums Pianobook Is anyone using Pianolith?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    I would like to know if anyone out there is using Pianolith and what you think of it. This is a large and time-consuming project that I am continuously updating. It would be very helpful to me to know if people are finding it useful so I know whether to continue development or not. Thanks!

Participant

Hi Andrew

Pianolith escaped my radar I think because until a couple of weeks ago I had Kontakt 5 (5.8) but now I have Kontakt (6).

I thought the Photosynthesis engine that I started using was pretty good but this is on another level because of the sample content built in – WOW! You have some of mine too – bonus!

This is going to be wonderful for my current album that is already using a lot of these Pianobook samples but to layer them in 5 with the flexibility of the instrument should really add to the project.

I can see you have put in a serious amount of work so THANK YOU – did Christian preview this on his YouTube channel? Don’t recall seeing it.

I can see it’s not a simple task of replacing samples because you have made the multiple dynamic layers but during this lockdown I worked with Darren J Prescott on the St Helen’s Cantores wonderful choir and he noise reduced the samples brilliantly. However, Pianobook has not published them despite being sent them months ago 🙁

If you would like to replace them because most people might agree that the seat/door noises are a little distracting the NR samples are available here

Thanks again for this wonderful gift to the community.

Regards

Bob

Participant

Hi Bob,
    So glad to hear you are getting good use out of Pianolith. I really like the Photosynthesis engine, well done. Unfortunately, Christian never reviewed Pianolith on his YouTube channel and this is why I’m concerned most people don’t really know about it. It’s not a typical Pianobook instrument. It’s more of a way to leverage all of these wonderful samples people are contributing so they can create something new. I would be happy to create a separate site where I could continually post updates with new sample content, UI updates, and patches. It would also be a lot of fun to let users contribute there own presets since the possibilities are pretty much endless especially as the sample count grows. The randomizer is a really great way to come up with patches quickly if used correctly. All of this is pretty pointless if very people know about the instrument. Hopefully the word will get around. Thanks for your response and I’ll work on getting those cleaner samples into the next release. Take care.

Participant

Glad you like the Photosynthesis engine Andrew which I adapted the skin for but I think Pianolith has far more potential. I don’t understand why it wasn’t reviewed/highlighted. Sure the files size is big but so are SA libraries.

I like the idea of a separate site for it. As the PB file size is pretty massive will there be a way of being able to update the UI and samples separately?

Thrilled to hear that you are going to add the NR samples to St Helen’s as that is going to allow for an amazing choir sound when layered with others 🙂 Thanks again.

BemusedBemused
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    I did say thanks on one of Christian’s nerrding vids. And was surprised it seemed to have been missed. I did post about it on the Cakewalk Users forum. https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/15814-pianolith-freebie-on-pianobook/&tab=comments#comment-133272
    It must have been a huge task to have done. And I’m grateful. Just getting my head around it has been a challenge. But thank you. Perhaps (and only perhaps) Its size may have put some off and something half its size may have been a better introduction. But I’m not complaining with your generosity.

Participant

Yes, I saw your comment. Thank you so much for trying to spread the word!

Participant

Just downloaded it. Thanks for all your work. Amazing.

JFYI, when I load any snapshot, it tends to only load 2 of the patches, even if all five are used in the snapshot. I have to press ‘left’ then ‘right’ on each patch to reload the sample. But weirdly, when I use the randomise button though, all five samples load fine.

If you’re going to develop it further, may I suggest a ‘solo’ button for each patch? At the moment, if the user wants to hear a patch in isolation, they have to turn down the other four volume knobs. Two patches soloed would play both, obviously.

The only other suggestion I would make is to put an adjustable high pass filter before the rest of the effects on the FX page, to control the low-end going into the reverb and delay.

Thanks again, and good luck with Monolith!

Participant

Hi Neb,
    Thanks for your input. I may end up putting in solo buttons at some point but I have some other things in line I am working on first. That is a very strange issue with your snapshots. This is the first I have heard of it and am not seeing it on any of my other machines. Has anyone else experienced this?

Participant

Hi Andrew.

I tried to replicate Neb’s issue but a 5 voice Pianolith loaded fine in Kontakt 6.3

Plus 1 for Neb’s suggestion of solo button and high pass – though I know that’s quite a bit of work.

BemusedBemused
    Participant

Hi
    I tried to replicate the problem but had no issue. I did find I needed a batch resave when first d/loaded due to very slow load times.

Participant

Yes, batch resave is a really good idea with this library of course.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook