Home Forums Pianobook How do you actually use these?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Seb Clay
    Participant

I have kontakt and tried loading something here to it by double-clicking the kontakt nki file in Instruments folder, and kontakt says theres about 117 files missing from it and to ignore. When I click the keys in kontakt after loading it makes no sound. I don’t really understand kontakt though so not sure if its a problem with that or managing the files here itself, I have no idea how this is meant to work lol, or how to get sound from it.

Maximilian Kisbiro
    Participant

It looks, like it can not find the samples. so they won´t load and there aren´t any sampels to play in the instrument. When Kontakt opens the dialogue that there are missing files, use the browse for folder option and select the complete instrument-folder. Kontakt will scan for the missing files and everything should be okay afterwards.

Let me know, if this works!

best regards
    Max

RIk Loveridge
    Participant

Hi Max. Does it matter where on your computer you puts the preset files and samples? I think this confuses a lot of us. Thanks.

RIk Loveridge
    Participant

Dear bo din, thank you for taking the time to respond so extensively. Much of it applies equally to Mac/Logic. I’m gonna take some time to take in and experiment. Best, Rik

guildorf
    Participant

In a simple windows setup, I extract downloaded libraries to

C:usersPublicDocuments

When Kontakt opens, the browser on the left side will list the folders there, click on the one you want to use, and the contents will be listed. Drag a .nki or sample etc to the main panel on the right. When the content loads, there is a wrench icon in the upper left of it’s gui, that opens full the editing options that are available.

If you choose to open more content, to hear them together, multi-timbrally (layered) change the midi channel of each new one to either ‘omni’, or channel 1, by way of the controls in the midi channel selector in the lower left of the content’s gui.

The Decent-Sampler, by kontrast, is dramatically easy to use, and each instrument will offer several pertinent controls to use, and the rest is just making music…many times it is great therapy to just play a grand piano with a choir or strings in the backround, the framed rocket science degree laid face down on the mantle…and the credit card safely ensconced for the occasional emergency. Decent, indeed.
    Cheers

RIk Loveridge
    Participant

Thanks Guildorf. Might give Decent a try.

I’m a little confused by your ‘Drag a .nki or sample etc to the main panel’ comment. I picture the nki as ‘the patch’ and containing info on where the samples are and how they are laid out etc. Can you drag an individual sample to the main panel?

The other confusing thing is when people move nkis or exs files around (e.g. to put them in Logic’s library) as they often move the ‘patch’ and not also the folder with the samples in. I assumed the patch would lose track of the sample location?

For my music I prefer the PianoBook samples to commercial samples very often… credit card is whipped out less often these days. Decent indeed!

Best, RIk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.