How do you actually use these?

Home Forums Pianobook How do you actually use these?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have kontakt and tried loading something here to it by double-clicking the kontakt nki file in Instruments folder, and kontakt says theres about 117 files missing from it and to ignore. When I click the keys in kontakt after loading it makes no sound. I don’t really understand kontakt though so not sure if its a problem with that or managing the files here itself, I have no idea how this is meant to work lol, or how to get sound from it.

Maximilian KisbiroMaximilian Kisbiro
    Participant

It looks, like it can not find the samples. so they won´t load and there aren´t any sampels to play in the instrument. When Kontakt opens the dialogue that there are missing files, use the browse for folder option and select the complete instrument-folder. Kontakt will scan for the missing files and everything should be okay afterwards.

Let me know, if this works!

best regards
    Max

Participant

Hi Max. Does it matter where on your computer you puts the preset files and samples? I think this confuses a lot of us. Thanks.

bo dinbo din
    Participant

The most important thing is that the samples (.wav, aif, ncw and so on) are in the right relationship to the file that you are loading. Other formats work in a similar manner.

A basic nki/nkm contains information about where to find all the bits and what to do with them. So if the nki file expects to see 117 files in a certain place and they are not there, it will point that fact out and show you where it thinks they should be. If you know where they are, you then re-direct Kontakt to the right place.

Normally, when you download a zip it will contain at least one nki file and the samples that come with it. If the author has followed routine behaviour, the files will be in the proper relationship in the unzipped folder.

NI’s own libraries will install into some obscure but fixed folder, in the hope that users will not move them and cause the chaos that usually follows (projects don’t load, it normally involves a lot of frustration and reinstallation of all the libraries).

Personally I have my hard drive partitioned with C:/for the Windows System, main programmes and basic stuff. Partition D:/ is for mainly for Samples and Patches that I download that don’t automatically install elsewhere.

My main folders are categorised by format primarily, the exception being the 170GB Pianobook folder which is in the nki/hkm folder and has everything in there from exs, decent sampler, sfz and kontakt formats sorted as on Pianobook. But that needs trimming right down.

So everything from Pianobook is in;
    D:\Samples and Patches\nki\Painobook

If your libraries have an installer and put things in certain places, make a note of the path(s) so you can find them later. Where the plugins or patches don’t automatically install and are as-is (like Pianobook downloads), takes notes and keep them away from Windows system files and your DAWs folders files.

Be sensible, know from the get-go where everything is, where it goes and why. It might be a bit confusing at first, but it will become second nature.

Finally, one last tip, I work with every file showing the file extension. If you don’t see .nki or .wav or .aif after file names then you have the option to show them as follows.

Open any folder, and click on the View tab at the top. To the far right you should see Options, click on the dropdown arrow and then select Change folder and search options.

In the dialogue box for Folder Options, click on the View tab and untick the box that says; Hide extensions for known file types

Close the dialogue box and look inside a folder and the files extension will now be displayed.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by bo dinbo din.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by bo dinbo din. Reason: A tree grows in Brooklyn
    bo dinbo din
    Participant

Ooh er,
    I see you mention logic in the other post. That’s a planet I don’t visit.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by bo dinbo din. Reason: Earthquake, 4.9 moved me about an inch in my office chair in this very room in 1998
    Participant

Dear bo din, thank you for taking the time to respond so extensively. Much of it applies equally to Mac/Logic. I’m gonna take some time to take in and experiment. Best, Rik

Participant

In a simple windows setup, I extract downloaded libraries to

C:\users\Public\Documents

When Kontakt opens, the browser on the left side will list the folders there, click on the one you want to use, and the contents will be listed. Drag a .nki or sample etc to the main panel on the right. When the content loads, there is a wrench icon in the upper left of it’s gui, that opens full the editing options that are available.

If you choose to open more content, to hear them together, multi-timbrally (layered) change the midi channel of each new one to either ‘omni’, or channel 1, by way of the controls in the midi channel selector in the lower left of the content’s gui.

The Decent-Sampler, by kontrast, is dramatically easy to use, and each instrument will offer several pertinent controls to use, and the rest is just making music…many times it is great therapy to just play a grand piano with a choir or strings in the backround, the framed rocket science degree laid face down on the mantle…and the credit card safely ensconced for the occasional emergency. Decent, indeed.
    Cheers

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatarguildorf.
    Participant

Thanks Guildorf. Might give Decent a try.

I’m a little confused by your ‘Drag a .nki or sample etc to the main panel’ comment. I picture the nki as ‘the patch’ and containing info on where the samples are and how they are laid out etc. Can you drag an individual sample to the main panel?

The other confusing thing is when people move nkis or exs files around (e.g. to put them in Logic’s library) as they often move the ‘patch’ and not also the folder with the samples in. I assumed the patch would lose track of the sample location?

For my music I prefer the PianoBook samples to commercial samples very often… credit card is whipped out less often these days. Decent indeed!

Best, RIk

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook