Home Forums Pianobook Help me Piano Book. You’re my only hope (a little opportunity-not click bait!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Baugh
    Participant

It’s not clickbait, I promise!

I’d like to introduce myself, I have just joined this wonderful forum, it’s something I have been meaning to do for a while but I haven’t had time until now. Actually, that’s a lie, I don’t have time but I wanted to make time and I found an excuse: I need your help!

I am working on a track and a video with some friends (Tina Guo, Rusanda Panfili, Anna Sentina and others) on behalf of a company called Neural DSP. They hired me to compose music to promote a unit they make called the Quad Cortex and they gave me a budget to get the right musicians and videographers onboard to make it extra special. The track is called Break The Stars and we have recorded almost all the instruments and videos before half of my band flew out to Berlin to rehearse with a certain Hans Zimmer for his European tour. Did you notice I wrote ‘almost’? This is the area in which I need some help: my wife Sabina is recording her piano parts in the coming week and we are looking for the ‘right’ piano sound. One can see my simple thinking: “I need the right piano sound, aha! Piano Book!” All of the VST’s I’ve got are ’emotive’ piano sounds whereas I need something that has character but is dry and more aggressive. I’ve tried many things such as recording piano, adding decapitator and all sorts of things like that which yielded exciting results but not the right sound for this project. Can you help? Is there something someone has made here that I should check out? It doesn’t strictly have to be piano, it can be a piano sounding instrument.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any recommendations you can give me!

Leon
    Participant

I suppose you’ll have to do what a lot have to, download all the Pianos until you find the sound you want, hard to recommend an instrument when so many available, maybe look for a certain model of Piano might help as some have their own distinctive sound, my own favs from here are ‘The Experiment’ and ‘Mason & Hamlin Model A’ but that’s me!

One of my other favs is the free Piano from Ivy Audio.

Piano In 162

Sid
    Participant

I used the search function and searched for the word “bright”. Mason & Hamlin, Yamaha, which are the usual suspects, I suppose, but also “Studio One” which is a Steinway Model B.

Michael Baugh
    Participant

I was hoping to save some time by checking out the recommends as it’s a tight deadline and I’m both the composer, guitarist, director, video editor and grader! I will check out your recommends, thank you so much Leon!

Michael Baugh
    Participant

I just spotted the search function, thanks Sid! Piano Book is rather amazing, isn’t it? How does one benefit from making these VST’s? I feel like downloading them and using them in a production like this is a little cheap, is there some sort of ‘donate’ function? I would be happy to share their work to my social following but as these are free I don’t imagine the exposure would amount to anything more than Likes, Follows and downloads.

Marco Iannello
    Participant

Michael, we do not benefit from making these instruments, other than being happy to give back to the community, that is how I see it, anyway 🙂 Then, if you feel like you wanted to express your gratitude for the existence of these instruments by donating to the creator, I see nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, it can only make us feel happier, I suppose! 😊

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.