Home Forums Pianobook Full set of keys

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rihards Ozols
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new here and downloaded couple of the sample packs, but see that all of them do not feature all of the keys of the piano. Not that I would need all 88 keys but the ones I tried had 3 octaves or so. I’m talking about the wav files in samples folders. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Sid
    Participant

I have run into that occasionally, depending on the instrument being sampled. If I feel I need more range, I just open the code and stretch the lowest key down and the highest key up.

Rihards Ozols
    Participant

Hey, thanks but didn’t wan’t to hack it. Was just wondering if this is common or if there is a reason for that. Like perhaps there is a paywall for some of the libraries to get the full access. I’m actually just interested in the wav files and not the plugins.

Leon
    Participant

There is no Paywall Rihards as everything is free, just think it’s the way the samples are prepared and some are full scale and some less as it’s easier to make an instrument with a smaller scale and stretch it, just think it’s the way it is for some Instruments.

Leon

Sid
    Participant

I’ve only run into one library on Pianobook that was a cut down version of a pay product, but that isn’t against the rules.

Marco Iannello
    Participant

In some of my contributions, I did not go full keyboard simply because I did not like how it sounded in the lowest and highest register. Also, when going really low,the sound would become too subby for how I intended the patch to be, and viceversa, if going to high, it would become too shrieking. For the NFO Strings Longs, I stack with the range of the instruments. But yes, for me normally is a decision I make, based upon whether I like the sound in those specific ranges

Leon
    Participant

Also, when going really low,the sound would become too subby for how I intended the patch to be, and viceversa, if going to high….

Makes sense and as you say depends on what the Sampler’s end results wants to be, some Instruments would sound terrible if too high/low.

Rihards Ozols
    Participant

Understandable, thanks for the comments everyone. Wish it was part of the description though. I think in some other post there was a similar comment on writing sample rate and bit depth for the sound files as well, also useful information up front.

Sid
    Participant

Well, there is a document outlining the recommended naming convention here:
    pianobook co uk / resources / how-to-sample / recording-your-piano

It also states that:

When naming your samples, make sure you include the name of the note (using sharp ‘#’ signs rather than flat ‘b’ signs) to make it possible to auto-map your samples into a sampler. Also include the velocity layer in the name or “RT” for release triggers. Files should be saved at 48khz, 24bit, wav.

But don’t expect musicians to follow any rules, Ha Ha!

Rihards Ozols
    Participant

But don’t expect musicians to follow any rules, Ha Ha!

That would be quite naive 😀

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.