Blindness And The Challenges Of Samples

Home Forums Pianobook Blindness And The Challenges Of Samples

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    KikoKiko
    Participant

So I just finished up a video on my channel about the challenges blind people face in creating music and thought I should extend the conversation here, Since Pianobook is very much a community for sharing inspiration and tools and trying to make tools as available as possible.

For my part I am only low vision, While I am legally blind and have challenges, I can still use tools as intended for the most part, But alot of my good friends in the blind community have extreme difficulties in using alot of very simple and standard tools. And samples are a big one. I know I have inquired before about trying to label UI in Kontakt or make presets that show up in Native Access, And part of this is because the UI that any of us can have and use in Kontakt or Decent Sampler is simply invisible to blind users. Alot of the great instruments being shared here can not be used unless in Logic with EXS, and of course then making them very simple and losing the UI control options. Not to mention only being available to a certain group who own the right stuff.

What I would personally love to see is something that makes these tools more standardised and accessible so that I and my business partner at True North Audio can make tools easily and even available freely, for our friends in the blind community. It would be especially cool to see Decent Sampler become an accessible alternative to the other options out there and open up more doors for more people. This is a conversation I have been having, and for those who have no other choice but to consider this on the daily, It is a conversation that must be had. There is not choice in it.

I’ve linked the video here below for anyone who is interested.

Participant

High Myopia guy here (though I can still see well enough to do most of my daily activities without additional tools, except for my glasses). Thanks for the demonstration, very interesting to learn how screen reading works!

It would indeed be great if Decent Sampler supported that functionality. If it’s really mainly about text-to-speech accessibility of parameter names and values, it should not be too difficult to implement. Maybe you can contact David Hilowitz directly? He is a very approachable and generous guy!

Another idea: currently there is active development in the Sfizz sampler, which is set to become a modern sample player for the .sfz format (the other main player for that format, Sforzando, has not been actively developed any further since quite some time and lacks a few features that Sfizz already has). They are open to feature suggestions.

Here is the download: https://sfz.tools/sfizz/downloads
    Here you can file a request / issue: https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz/issues

Speaking of Ableton: you can make fonts much larger and use different themes for better contrast, but you have probably tried this before I guess?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Follow Pianobook