Home Forums Pianobook Anyone want to feed back on a new instrument before I make the UI?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roly Botha
    Participant

Hey all

I’m making a (my first!) sample instrument in Kontakt 6.6.1 and don’t yet have a sample buddyy… I want to make a really fancy UI, but before I do all of that I wonder if anyone fancies testing out the actual sounds with a very simple UI?

Let me know and I’ll send the instrument over!

NB you’ll need Kontakt 6.6.1 (the most up to date version at time of writing) to use the instrument

Nigel Gresswell
    Participant

You’re welcome to send me a copy and I’ll be happy to rest drive it for you. Nigel.

Roly Botha
    Participant

Thank you Nigel! I’m having a hard time convicing it to export out proeprly so will send over once that’s done haha

Roly Botha
    Participant

Hi Nigel – new to the forum so possibly being vincompetent but can’t find a way to privately message you, so here’s a link to download the beta instrument (~585MB).

Like I say, this is my first rodeo so any feedback or advice is appreciated. Particularly if you feel there’s any functionality missing (or if the whole thing just isn’t very good!) 😀

I personally think the synth sounds great thorugh a tape-style plugin plus loads of chorus, delay, and reverb… but then again most things sound better (or at least interesting) that way, haha. Also, I’d encourage liberal use of the “Honky-Tonk” slider…

Thanks!

Nigel Gresswell
    Participant

Thanks Roly. I was able to successfully download the file and my first impressions are that it is a very well put together instrument. It has a few bells and whistles which I think will make it stand out but I will play around with these some more tomorrow and get back to you.

Nigel Gresswell
    Participant

Morning. Here’s my thoughts about the Siel Piano. It is a very well sampled instrument and I could not find any faults in the playability of all the notes. You’ve obviously taken a lot of care over the sampling process. I really like the “honky tonk” effect and this for me is what makes this instrument stand out from the crowd. The chorus effect seemed to me to be very subtle if indeed it had any effect at all. Could this effect be cranked up do you think? I certainly preferred to have the Solid Bus EQ on as well as an added tape saturation which you recommended. To be honest I would even make these two effects part of the default instrument. Without them the default piano sound was a little to thin at least to my way of thinking. One issue I did notice was that this instrument is very CPU intensive. I’m using an Apple MacBook M1 chip? Also, and this is quite significant even after the sound has decayed the CPU meter is still registering at a high level. The only way I could resolve this was to hit the panic button in Kontakt. Also if the sustain on ADSR is raised the CPU goes into overdrive. I would consider not offering ADSR as an adjustable feature as it does not add much and might cause a CPU overload. All in all I really enjoyed playing the Siel and with that honky tonk effect it really is a cool instrument. Hope this is helpful. Good luck with the GUI which I will look forward to seeing when you publish on PB. Nigel

Roly Botha
    Participant

Thanks so much for the feedback Nigel – really appreciate it! I’ll certainly have a play with the Chorus – I’m planning on rebuilding the instrument in K5 so that it’s more accesible to more people, so will be using a different Chorus unit anyway, as I believe the fx are different between K5 and K6. Main reason I wanted to keep the “Air” eq as an option was just to please my purist self by having the original, clean sound available if needed… but I really like to idea of adding a tape sat option into the instrument!

Regards the CPU spikes you were seeing, my meter within Kontakt is hitting a maximum of 5% CPU if I’m playing massive chords with all FX on, sustain cranked up full etc. I’m on an old intel Macbook so afraid I can’t verifyy system to system… hesitate to ask if it’s perhaps a Kontakt/M1 compatability issue?

Thanks so much again for your time and insight! 😀

Nigel Gresswell
    Participant

Yes, you may be right about the Kontakt/M1 compatibility. Kontakt are certainly dragging their heels over this issue. I also have only 8gb of RAM which is not that much for computer music enthusiasts!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.