Home › Forums › Pianobook › Converting Kontakt 6 Patches to Kontakt 5, EXS to Kontakt › Reply To: pianobook/converting-kontakt-6-patches-to-kontakt-5-exs-to-kontakt
Adaptation of previous post and instructions by Darren Prescott
Fortunately there is still a way to do this with Kontakt 5.2 to 5.8.1 versions (but not in Kontakt 6) (Windows instructions only):
In order to enable the EXS24 to Kontakt conversion feature again you will need a couple of older “kconvert” files. These are the files that do the converting and in later Kontakt versions they stopped working.
If you own Kontakt 5, you should be able to download an older version here:
Login, if necessary and type Kontakt in the search field, then find “KONTAKT 5.1.0 Win Update” and download.
Once downloaded do this:
1. Extract the contents of the “Kontakt_5_510U_PC.zip” to Kontakt_5_510U_PC folder.
2. Open the folder, right click on “Kontakt 5 5.1.0 Setup PC.exe” and select ‘Extract here’.
3. Open the data folder and navigate to OFFLINEE1AC969716989E6
There are two files (dated 14/11/2012); KConvert32.dll and KConvert64.dll. which will replace those in your version of K5 and allow you to open EXS files.
4. Open a separate File Explorer and navigate to: C:Program FilesCommon FilesNative InstrumentsKontakt 5 and back up the two KConvert files by moving them to another location where you can find them again if necessary.
This is always good practice, just in case anything goes wrong.
5. Copy the two older KConvert dll files (dated 14/11/2012) into C:Program FilesCommon FilesNative InstrumentsKontakt 5
Then it is simply a matter of dragging the EXS file from a folder or the Kontakt browser window into the Multi window. It should load and then you can save it as Kontakt instrument.
The converted instrument may not play or sound exactly as the author intended, and it is up to you what you do with it from then on.
The Kontakt_5_510U_PC.zip file and the Kontakt_5_510U_PC folder serve no further purpose and can be deleted if you wish.