Reply To: Pianobook Demos

Home Forums Pianobook Pianobook Demos Reply To: Pianobook Demos

Emil G.Emil G.
Participant

@KEITH-THEODOSIOU I think your work is very creative. Sounds like we have a similar approach in some respects to demos. I write a lot of piano tracks and sometimes start with a particular piano, and sometimes make a replacement. For me it is easy to sketch music using a piano and then go from there, which can include changing the piano sound.

I like multi-instrument demos as well. As a closet cellist, I tend to write a lot for piano and cello, but also other strings.

I recently posted a track called Broken, where I used a slightly different approach. However, I also like to work with themes, and this pandemic has me down, so I have found myself working with a number of pandemic related themes, and that is where Broken came in.

Broken is the story of our broken world in the year 2020. The piano in this recording transforms from soft to broken over time, until it bursts into flames. I actually got the idea from listening to Dan Keen’s “The King’s Upright”, as it is slightly out of tune. I thought it made a good centre piece for the concept.

The crashing sounds are piano keys, there is no other percussion used. When creating this track I remembered Dan’s cat photo bombing one of his videos, so had to add a cat near the end.

Although the stereo mix down is good, if you happen to have a surround decoder, it sounds fantastic in quadraphonic. And I know this is old school, I am old 🙂 I used to work with four channel tape, late 60s until about 1980. So kinda nostalgic.

Would like to hear about your inspirations.

Follow Pianobook