Home Forums Pianobook Build Decent Sampler instruments automatically Reply To: Build Decent Sampler instruments automatically

Risto Sipola
Participant

I just found out that there was a critical bug in the DS instrument builder. The problem has now been fixed in the newest version. I learned about the bug via a bug report. I don’t know if anyone else had encountered this showstopper bug.

If there are any problems with the scripts, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Chances are that a bug is easy to fix and I can make a new version quickly. In these initial phases there might be some clumsy mistakes in the code.

At the moment I don’t really know how many people have tried the scripts and what kind of user experiences have they had. Feedback and questions are welcome! 🙂

If we can get the scripts working reliably, I think they could be really useful to the Pianobook community. In my estimation it is possibly eliminate almost all of the time-consuming, boring, and tiring work. As a trade-off one must learn to use the scripts and perhaps pay close attention to some new aspects in a sampling project.

One of the things one should worry about is the chopping accuracy and consistency. It would be great if one could eventually trust the automation almost fully. One way to check the chopping quality is to arrange the items/samples vertically right after chopping. In practice you would create a marker ‘arr 39 nopitch’ or something. The number can be whatever as long as it’s smaller than 40*. Running the arranging script should now place the items on new tracks. After that it should be easy to see/measure if there are any inconsistencies with the sample start times. Once this check has been done, one can undo the action and return to the normal workflow.

*for more tracks use a dynamic level point, for example ‘arr 39 39 1 nopitch 65’. This should give you 78 tracks. ‘arr 39 39 39 1 nopitch 40 80’ gives you 117 tracks.

My experience has been so far that the chopping algorithm works really well when there isn’t too much noise in the signal. Usually the “side-chain EQ method” can help a lot when there is a significant amount of noise in the recording. I introduced this method in the video “Chopping a noisy drum recording” and used it again in the video “Creating a sample piano”.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Risto