Home Forums Pianobook Suggestion for a future “Directory structure within the ZIP file” Reply To: Suggestion for a future “Directory structure within the ZIP file”

ConnerConner
Participant

Just for presentation’s sake I don’t typically like to have my name included in the zip or folder name, it makes it easier to quickly glance at a folder and see exactly what instrument it is, and likewise unless I’m including multiple instrument / sampler formats I tend to leave to the nki or exs file in the root directory. My name is always available on the pianobook instrument page for someone to see who made it, and I always try to submit the instrument by the same name in the folder / zip file.

If someone were to port one of the instruments I’ve uploaded (which is totally cool with me) it would be difficult most of the time as I rely on the AET velocity filtering exclusive to kontakt, as well as some of the scripting, so I tend to prefer just uploading in this format.

I know that not everyone is the same way, but for me personally it usually takes a lot of time for me to even come close in other samplers to what I can do quickly in Kontakt.

That said:
Another important thing to consider is a lot of the instruments don’t work — especially kontakt ones — right away or need to find files because of how they are saved. It’s important when building a kontakt instrument to make sure that the instrument / .nki is looking for the files in a relative path and not an absolute path if you are going to distribute the instrument to other people. This is because not everybody saves their instruments the same way or in the same place.

So long as your instrument knows to look for samples within the same relative location (and that location exists within the instrument’s directory) it should always be able to locate the samples.

I know this take may be seen as a little snooty but an important consideration for me as a developer of freeware sampler instruments for a potentially massive community is that everything works right away and is easily navigable should someone wish to make changes. For that reason my attitude is a little non-conformist.

I do appreciate an attempt to have a generalized directory structure however, but I think given the scope of pianobook and its massively growing and diverse palette of projects I think the guidelines should stay as they are: Particular and offering good advice, but a little vague

I would love to hear the input of other instrument creators, I am sure there are many thing I have overlooked

Instagram

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.

Log in as an administrator and view the Instagram Feed settings page for more details.

Follow Pianobook